EQMS by Qualsys was selected to provide a clean, simple, centralised system for the reporting and application of health and safety data.
SMS engineers can now flag risks and issues on the road by accessing Issue Manager on their mobile devices.
SMS office staff can utilise a Kiosk platform to log risk and opportunity data from the office floor in approximately 10 seconds.
And by drawing on these sources of data in tandem, the SMS management team have unlocked full visibility of the health and safety environment for coordinated follow-up action.
Everyone uses EQMS to report near-misses, observations, incidents throughout the business. We obviously hope we don't have those issues, but it's really important to have a full picture of what's happening in our business so we can improve it.
- Melissa Cannon, EQMS Project Manager, SMS
Qualsys Compliance Director Kate Armitage presents on
health and safety management at the
Three primary hurdles must be overcome for good HSE data collection:
1) Staff feeling they don't have time to report
2) Staff feeling it isn't their responsibility
3) Staff not knowing who to report to
The SMS team overcame all three by giving all staff the responsibility and capability to push health and safety data directly into the EQMS system in a matter of seconds.
Staff aren't encumbered by long, distracting reporting procedures, and simple pictorial Kiosk dashboards keep the logging process quick, intuitive and automatic without pulling employees from their day-to-day roles.
The quality and health and safety teams can now interrogate all reported issues from a single source, follow up and resolve issues with dedicated CAPA workflows, and generate reports at the click of a button.
Our people can come to work knowing that any small thing they have concerns about can be raised immediately, and resolved quickly. It makes it a safer place to work all around, and a safe workforce is a happy workforce.
Lukan Gaskin - Technical Engineer, SMS
5 top tips for collecting health and safety data from your staff
- Move away from email - cluttered inboxes are difficult to organise and act on
- Provide as many reporting routes into your business management system as possible, on as many device formats as you can
- Make reporting as quick and simple as possible to maximise engagement from employees
- Encourage reporting on the 'little things' to prevent them becoming more critical
- Get some internal champions to make the process natural and accepted in the opening weeks
Download case study booklet
Learn moreSee how multinational manufacturer Xylem uprooted their inefficient issue management system with our software: